With four world-class universities, Montréal is one of the most innovative research hubs in North America. In fact, now more than ever, students around the world are taking note. Our fair French-Canadian city was recently voted the #1 place in North America to be a student, largely because of our pioneering research culture and affordable lifestyle. Montréal is attracting the brightest minds of the next generation, and this is only going to lead to more innovation down the road.
But before we get caught up with future forecasting, let’s look at what’s happening right now. Here is a sampling of some cutting edge scientific breakthroughs (or simply fascinating research developments) that have recently come from Montréal.
8 scientific breakthroughs
- Kids exposed to two languages have different expectations than those who are monolingual
- Revolutionary new probe exposes cancer cells
- Breakthrough in fight against muscle wasting diseases
- Educating the immune system to prevent allergies
- Diabetes: A longitudinal study shows that self-management provides good glycemic control
- Viewing erotic stimuli is associated with enhanced male sexual responsiveness
- Discovery of new cell structure that affects organ transplants
- Taking antidepressants during pregnancy increases risk of autism by 87 percent